I came across this recipe while searching the inter-webs for delicious cake recipes that don’t contain flour or eggs. This one has eggs, and plenty of them however I have successfully used an egg-replacer to make a cake version and it turned out FANTASTIC! This recipe was modified from LovelyGreens
Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes a dozen cupcakes or an 8” square pan cake
1 can of Kidney beans in water
5 large Eggs ~OR~ egg replacer of your choice
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup softened butter
1/8 cup Grade B maple syrup
1/8 cup Honey
6 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
3/4 tsp Aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda ¼ cup organic powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F
2. Line your pan with unbleached parchment paper OR 12 cupcake papers
3. Drain and rinse the can of kidney beans and shake off the excess water. Place the beans with three of the eggs (or egg-replacer) and the vanilla into a food processor until completely liquefied.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the honey with the remaining eggs then add the butter.
5. Mix your dry ingredients thoroughly and sift them to make a nice fine mixture.
6. Add the dry ingredients to your food processor then blend lightly. Then, add the butter and honey mixture and continue beating until the batter is smooth.
7. For a glass pan, cook for 20 minutes, for cupcakes cook 25 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Once the cake is cool you can sift powdered sugar on the top and enjoy.
A few notes:
This cake is FANTASTIC, you cannot taste the beans at all. Even my father who is very picky about his cake loved this and it didn’t last the evening. It passed the picky preschooler test and we made a second cake the next day.
If you use an egg replacer: the middle is going to fall, there is nothing wrong with the cake it just won’t hold its weight without the eggs.
If you use duck eggs: use only 3 as they add much more volume and are larger. This cake would be fantastic with duck eggs!
I hope you enjoy this delicious cake as much as we have and please feel free to comment with any modifications and pictures!